Exam coaching by a professional tutor can be an enormous help to students
For over 15 years, Tutor Doctor has been providing one-to-one, in-home tutoring to help students prepare for their exams, from SATs through to GCSEs and A levels, as well as a range of adult qualifications.
Our tutoring for exam preparation is completely tailored and designed according to the student’s specific and unique needs relative to the exam he or she is taking.
Tutoring for national exams includes — but is not limited to — the following tests:
- Ensure your child is on track to reach their academic target levels with a programme of home-based tuition designed to broaden and deepen their understanding of the key subjects of English, Maths and Science. Using the student’s own school syllabus, home-based learning will actively reinforce their classroom learning, and leave them better prepared and more confident when the time comes for their knowledge to be tested. Using an individually tailored programme, which proceeds at the pace needed to ensure a firm grasp of the subject matter, our specialist tutors will help a wall flower to blossom, and turn an acceptable result into an outstanding one!
- Our specialist 11+ tutors will ensure that your child is prepared to sit their entrance exam with confidence. We have helped children in the Cambridge area get into very competitive local schools, including the Perse Upper, Perse Prep, Stephen Perse Foundation, St Faiths, St Mary’s and The Leys. We have also worked much further afield with local students seeking support for help with their common entrance exams for a range of schools including Uppingham, Oakham and Rugby. As well as being familiar with the nature of the exams and interviews, we have spoken to most Admissions Officers and understand the “personality” of each school and what they are looking for.Although most schools say you can’t be tutored for their entrance exams, we find children perform better and with more confidence when they are familiar with the format of the exams. With our hand-picked tutors, they will focus on achieving a broader and deeper understanding of the key examination areas of English and Maths, plus Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning where required.Places at good secondary schools are in very high demand and competition is fierce, so it helps your child to have a solid grounding in these exams to maximise their potential for success with speed and accuracy. Ultimately, this programme will accelerate their learning ability into the GCSE years. Most importantly, they will coach your youngster in a fun way, so that each student becomes more receptive to new learning throughout their academic life.
Common Entrance Exams
- 11+ ISEB Common Entrance: Based upon two or more components from the 11+ exam syllabus, Common Entrance examinations for the numerous selective entry schools are taught by experienced tutors, many of whom have themselves been through this same process. Significant improvements in the student’s own confidence levels, plus a broad understanding of the key subject areas of Algebra and Verbal Reasoning form the basis for these upgraded junior school syllabus based exams.
13+ ISEB Common Entrance: We have tutored many children for one or more of the 13+ Common Entrance subjects, including French, Latin, Science as well as the more usual Maths and English. We require our tutors to be familiar with the C.E syllabus, and also to be able to tutor to at least GCSE level due to the higher standard of these exams.
Our successful approach has helped children achieve some very pleasing results, including entry to Eton, Winchester, Wellington, Westminster and Charterhouse, and scholarships to Winchester and Charterhouse.
GCSE / IGCSE
- Our subject-specialist tutors can assist a student struggling to absorb the breadth of content required of today’s GCSE syllabus, or extend the learning of a high achiever through their own, greatly enhanced subject knowledge. Step by step, module by module, classroom reinforcement can best be achieved in the home under the guidance of an experienced tutor, whose sole objective is to ensure the student gleans maximum benefit from their own years of study. Covering all subjects and with a range of vocational experiences to enhance academic learning, we can tailor a programme to meet each student’s specific needs.
- The step up in academic content from GCSE to A Level can prove to be very challenging for many students. Our experienced tutors can help to bridge the gap. With learning reinforcement, techniques to help improve memory retention, contextualising the required learning and by sharing their own experiences with the student, they can jointly develop revision tools that meet the needs of each individual.We also provide Academic Coaching to high-achieving students seeking to attain top grades for University and beyond.